Can’t we all just agree?
(Post updated to add links to write-ups of the papers now that the series is complete).
We had to get here at some point! Inspired by the recent publication of Raft Refloated I thought it would be a good time to do a mini-series on consensus. Initially I’d planned out a series of 5 papers on this topic, but after some discussion with Jonas Bonér (look out for his Desert Island Papers selections coming soon) I expanded it to 10 papers over the coming two weeks.
Here’s the plan:
- Viewstamped Replication, Oki and Liskov 1988
- The Part-Time Parliament, Lamport 90/98 (submitted/published)
- Paxos Made Simple, Lamport 2001
- Paxos Made Live, Chandra et al. 2007
- Viewstamped Replication Revisited, Liskov and Cowling 2012
- Zab: High-performance broadcast for primary-backup systems, Junqueira et al.2011
- Zookeeper’s atomic broadcast protocol: Theory and practice, Medeiros 2012
- Vive La Difference: Paxos vs Viewstamped Replication vs Zab, van Renesse et al. 2014
- In Search of an Understandable Consensus Algorithm, Ongaro & Ousterhout 2013
- Raft Refloated: Do We Have Consensus? Howard et al. 2015