Skip to content

End of term

December 15, 2017

We’ve reached the end of term again and it’s time for me to take a few weeks off to recharge my brain, reorganise & refill my paper backlog, and get ready for 2018!

I’ve been reading and summarising a computer science research paper every weekday for over three years now. The knowledge I’ve gained has enabled me to have some wonderful conversations and meet some wonderful people, which looking back I never would have been able to do in the same way if I had not been so active in my explorations. But predicting in advance which of the papers were the ones that would end up most useful to me beyond the simple joy of learning would have been I think very difficult indeed. So for me at least, there’s value in continuing to explore a broad cross-section of computer science and just following my interests wherever they take me.

My copy of Michel de Montaigne’s ‘Essais’ came off the shelf only once this year, and in a wonderful stroke of good fortune I stumbled upon the following passage which perfectly sums up how I feel about the subjects I cover:

I speak my mind freely on all things, even on those which perhaps exceed my capacity and which I by no means hold to be within my jurisdiction. And so the opinion I give of them is to declare the measure of my sight, not the measure of things. — Michel de Montaigne, 1533-1592.

One of my favourite things is when I learn that by chance I have been able to land a relevant piece of computer science research in someone’s inbox, which they might not have found otherwise, and it helps them with a project they’re actively working on.

If you’ve been following along with The Morning Paper for all or part of this year, thank you. I hope that it has been beneficial for you too, perhaps in ways that you also could not have predicted ahead of time! The interactions around the papers bring me great joy, and knowing that you’re waiting for the next edition helps me to stick with the habit even on days when e.g., I’m tired and traveling and might not otherwise find the strength.

As has become tradition, I’ll leave you with a few selections from the term to tide you over until The Morning Paper begins again on Monday 8th January.

See you in January,
Thanks, Adrian.

15 Comments leave one →
  1. Ankit Gaur permalink
    December 15, 2017 6:22 am

It was nice reading all these mails coming to my mailbox everyday – thanks for such wonderful commentaries and helping us reconnect with great ideas in CS. Hope you have recharging time off and Happy Holidays !!

2. Lior permalink
    December 15, 2017 7:33 am

Adrian,

Thank you so much for all that. This has been, by far, the best newsletter I’ve ever subscribed to. I feel very fortunate to stumble upon it. Im very curious on how do you do this so well. If I may ask, how much time does it take of your day – to select, to read the paper, to summarize?

Again, thanks for taking on this important, so helpful task

בתאריך 15 בדצמ׳ 2017 8:00 לפנה״צ,‏ “the morning paper” כתב:

> adriancolyer posted: “We’ve reached the end of term again and it’s time > for me to take a few weeks off to recharge my brain, reorganise & refill my > paper backlog, and get ready for 2018! I’ve been reading and summarising a > computer science research paper every weekday fo” >

3. December 15, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for all the papers and graphics you show to us!
    András

4. December 15, 2017 10:25 am

thank you all the time for you excellent post every weekday 🙂
    it expand my vision , i learned a lot of things ~~

5. unohoo permalink
    December 15, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for dong this 🙂

6. December 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Happy holidays,

Keep up the good work. Can I suggest a source of interesting papers (along with colored pictures, although not as good looking as yours): http://www.knosof.co.uk/ESEUR/

7. December 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for the effort you take in summarizing interesting papers. Being a PhD student in computer systems area, I really find your articles very helpful in broadening my perspective every day. Continue with the good work. Cheers!

8. Ben permalink
    December 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I can only agree with the other comments, thanks a lot for your consistent effort of presenting interesting papers every day. I’m amazed you can keep up that daily schedule for most of the year. I definitely learned a lot.

Enjoy your well-deserved holidays! 🙂

9. Agata permalink
    December 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks, you open my eyes and challenge my brain, reading your blog is my favorite daily ritual!

10. December 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Like everyone else thanks for your effort Adrian. I know this is a lot of work and you take the time to distil and present in an engaging way. Sometimes I wonder when you actually sleep!

11. Miguel Correia permalink
    December 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks a lot for this! It’s really great!

12. Ilon Sjögren permalink
    December 17, 2017 7:53 am

I’m grateful for the wonderful digging you do, in order to bring those papers to our attention.

I really enjoy reading them, as a way to broaden my views and gain more I sight in areas of CS in which I’m not actively practicing.

Thank you for this year, and a look forward to another year of reading!

13. December 18, 2017 5:47 am

I “discovered” your blog a few weeks ago – what task, discipline, ambition, and audacity. Then I looked you up on linkedIn – ok, it all makes sense now.
    Thanks for doing this nonetheless -:)

14. Scott Rotondo permalink
    December 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to read, digest, and summarize these research papers. I only stumbled across your blog a month or two ago, but it’s become an important part of my daily routine since then. Looking forward to the return on January 8!

15. Subra Ranganathan permalink
    January 3, 2018 5:06 am

Thanks !. and Hats-off for this engaging summary. I discovered this blog about six months back, and i am trying my best to get to reading it daily in my routine. Haven’t succeeded yet., but will definitely continue.